Lindsay Vrooman named Big Ten Swimmer of the Year

IU junior Lindsay Vrooman has been named Big Ten Swimmer of the Year, the conference announced Tuesday.

Vrooman was named Swimmer of the Big Ten Championships in February after she won conference titles in the 500 and 1,650 freestyle and the 800 free relay.

She set Big Ten meet records in both individual events and helped IU set a meet record in the relay.

“The entire Indiana coaching staff is humbled to have Lindsay Vrooman named the Big Ten Swimmer of the Year,” IU Coach Ray Looze said in a press release. “Not only is she one of our captains but has been a rock of consistency over the course of the season.

“Her work ethic, kindness and selfless contribution to our squad cannot be measured adequately. What we most admire in her is the total determination she displays in all aspects of her life. This trait will serve her well into the future.”

At the NCAA Championships last week, Vrooman earned All-American honors in the 500 freestyle and mile.

Her mile time of 15:50.83 broke the school record she set at the Big Ten Championships, while her time of 4:36.41 in the 500 was the second-fastest in school history.

This is the second year in a row that an IU women’s swimmer has won the award after Allysa Varva won last year.

Vrooman joins Varva (2012), Kate Fesenko (2009, 2010) and Susan Woessner (2002) as Hoosiers to be named Big Ten Swimmer of the Year.

Joe Popely