arts jacobs school of music

Kalinovsky to join string faculty

The Jacobs School of Music will have a new professor of music in fall 2013.

Violinist Grigory Kalinovsky will join the string department faculty next semester following approval from the IU Trustees, according to a press release.
Department chair Stephen Wyrczynski said in the release the school is very excited for Kalinovsky to join the faculty.

“He brings a passion and skill for teaching that ranks him among the best,” Wyrczynski said in the release.

A native of St. Petersburg, Russia, Kalinovsky began studying the violin at 4 years old with Tatiana Liberova, one of Russia’s most famous violin teachers. When he was 16, Kalinovsky won the Bellini International Music Competition in Italy, making him the contest’s youngest winner.

“I love music,” Kalinovsky said. “It’s the only way I feel fulfilled.”

He continued his studies at the Pinchas Zukerman Performance Program at the Manhattan School of Music, where he later became a faculty member.

Kalinovsky also teaches at Pinchas Zukerman’s Young Artists Program in Canada and the Heifetz International Music Institute, according to his website.

The website said many of his students have won prestigious competitions such as the Menuhin Young Artists Competition in England and have continued their studies at prominent schools like Juilliard, Yale, Curtis  and the Manhattan School of Music.

Kalinovsky has performed concertos, chamber music and recitals at venues worldwide, including Carnegie Hall in New York. His devotion to chamber music led him to help establish the TAGI Ensemble, a clarinet, violin, cello and piano quartet.

“It’s the most intimate form of music-making,” Kalinovsky said of chamber music.
Kalinovsky said he is enthusiastic about the new job because it will allow him to balance work and family life more easily and spend more time with students.

“It’s very exciting,” he said. “It’ll be an interesting change, but I’m very much looking forward to it.”