sports softball

IU goes 3-0 in 1st weekend of home play

2013 Hoosier Classic

The Hoosier Classic marked a new beginning for the IU softball team this past weekend as it played for the first time on Andy Mohr Field. The Hoosiers completed a clean sweep of their opponents in the stadium they’ll now be calling home, going 3-0 for the weekend.

The Hoosier Classic was also the home opener for the IU softball team after playing its first 25 games of the season on the road.

“They finally got to sleep in their own beds,” IU Coach Michelle Gardner said of the team’s first weekend home. “Notoriously we’ve always played better at home, but the best part about it was having friends and family there and everyone getting to experience the first weekend together.”

In Andy Mohr Field’s inaugural game against Toledo on Friday, the Hoosiers came out swinging, posting 12 hits and nine runs to top the Rockets 9-1. Eight of the team’s runs came in the first inning alone, with freshman catcher and third baseman Kelsey Dotson posting the ninth and final run for the team in the third inning with the new stadium’s first ever homerun.

“Once we got on the field and were able to see what kind of field we’d be playing on, we wanted to protect our stadium,” senior outfielder Samantha Heyman said. “We came out and did a really good job.”

The team continued its dominant performance with a 2-1 win against Central Michigan Friday night, playing under the stadium lights for the first time. The Hoosiers’ two runs for the game came from solo homeruns by senior infielder Amanda Wagner and sophomore infielder Brianna Meyer.

“It reenergized us getting to play in front of our home crowd and gave us a lot of drive and momentum,” Wagner said. “I just tried to play the ball well, just trying to do what I can with my bat.”

Capping off their undefeated weekend, the Hoosiers posted an 8-0 win against

Illinois-Chicago on Saturday. Six different Hoosiers connected on hits to give the team a total of seven hits for the game.

Sunday play for the Hoosier Classic was canceled due to cold temperatures. With no matchup against Wright State, IU ended the weekend without a loss.

“We came out and did what we had to do,” Heyman said. “We came out really energetic from the beginning, and I think we did an overall great job.”

Senior pitcher Meaghan Murphy collected two wins during the weekend against Toledo and UIC, improving her record to 8-8. Sophomore pitcher Lora Olson claimed the other win of the weekend against Central Michigan.

The trio of Murphy, Olson and freshman Brooke Boetjer combined to strike out 15 on the weekend. The team only allowed two runs in the Hoosier Classic, improving its earned run average.

“We played great defense. My pitchers did a great job and did the things they need to do,” Gardner said. “I think as much as I attribute (the team’s success) to defense, I’d attribute it to pitching.”

The Hoosiers are now posting a batting average of .258 after cranking out 19 runs during the weekend.

“I definitely think we had a solid performance by our pitchers, defense and offense,” Wagner said. “All the

components were clicking. It was just an overall great team weekend.”

IU improved its overall record to 15-13, with just one game remaining before the team moves into Big Ten play.

“All the way around it was good to be able to be at home,” Gardner said. “It gave a little spark that they needed and it couldn’t have come at a better time.”