student life

Facebook app to connect potential roommates

Residential Programs and Services has contracted the developers of RoomSync for a new application on Facebook that students use to find roommates. 

Sara Ivey Lucas, assistant director of assignments for RPS Housing Assignments,   said RoomSync makes it easier for incoming freshmen and returning students to find roommates while living on campus.

Any student at IU can use the application, which matches potential roommates with similar interests.

RPS just started using the app this month. Lucas said RPS has been talking about using it for six years and have finally put it into place.

“It took us a little while to work through some purchasing things and technical things,” she said.

Lucas said the goal was to have the app available in mid-January, but due to technical issues, the app was released at the beginning of March.

To sign up for RoomSync, a person fills out a survey which matches them with potential roommates. However, Lucas said the thing that’s different about RoomSync is that you answer questions about yourself and your potential roommate.

Lucas said it was very difficult to decide which 10 questions to ask students. She said RoomSync gave RPS the option to create 10 of its own questions.

When Lucas initially sent out the idea to other RPS staff members, she said she got emails back with more than 50 new questions. 

“It was quite the process to pick the 10 questions we thought would cover the problems a lot of roommates have,” Lucas said.

After users answer the questions and set up a profile, they can communicate with their matches through Facebook, become friends and if it is mutually decided that the two want to room together, they can notify RPS.

Lucas said RPS decided to use the app because it can be very hard to find roommates solely through Facebook.

“You’re guaranteed that it’s other IU students,” Lucas said. “It gives you structure in finding a roommate.”

Lucas said RoomSync is a good company to work with.

“It’s a learning process, but it’s interesting and fun and will hopefully be worth it,” Lucas said.

— Sara Kate Nash