Comic book store sells vinatge and modern series

entComics

“The Walking Dead” and “My Little Pony” are among the variety of books that lay on the shelves of Vintage Phoenix Comic Books in downtown Bloomington.

The comic book store contains multiple varieties of comic book series.

Ashley Matrisciano, employee at Vintage Phoenix in downtown Bloomington, said The Walking Dead is one of the most popular comics sold at their store. She even went as far to say they are better than the television show.

She said the immense popularity of the television show “The Walking Dead” could contribute to the increased popularity of the original comic series.

The Walking Dead has helped to prove there are more options behind comics than the well-known superheroes. It quickly became one of the most popular shows on TV. The season three premiere was scheduled the same night as the Grammys and 12.3 million viewers still tuned in, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Vintage Phoenix sells many other comic books as well. The list includes DC and Marvel comics, two brands that have released smash hit blockbusters like The Dark Knight and The Avengers in recent years.

In addition, they sell HeroClix, action figures and comics for children such as My Little Pony.

“They (My Little Pony comics) are popular with girls under eight and, believe it or not, men over 20,” Matrisciano said.

Both Marvel and DC Comics continue their reign as popular comics, and each company began new comic book lines in the past few years.

DC’s The New 52 launched 52 new series in the fall of 2011 according to dccomics.com. Marvel Now began in October 2012, according to marvel.com.

The purpose of the new series is to revamp and relaunch the line of monthly superhero comics, while adding new characters and changing the public’s favorite characters’ designs.

Matrisciano said Wednesday brings the most customers. The new weekly comics are released and regulars flock to grab their favorite series.