crime & courts

Arrest made after child molestation allegations

They reportedly met at the swimming pool by the Arlington Valley Mobile Park during the summer of 2012.

Now, a man is facing preliminary charges for sexual misconduct with two minors that allegedly occurred inside his mobile home.

Kenneth Flynn, 31, is currently booked without bond at the Monroe County Jail and preliminarily charged with felony counts of child molestation.

Bloomington Police Department detectives, in conjunction with Indiana Child Protective Services, had been investigating the case since January, when a sibling, 16, of the victims, who are now 14 and 15 years old respectively, noticed suspicious text messages on the 14-year-old’s phone, Sgt. Joseph Crider said.

The sibling, 16, told police the text messages on the phone made her believe Flynn had engaged in sexual relations with her 14-year-old sibling. The 16-year-old told police she replied to Flynn’s messages, impersonating the 14-year-old. Through those messages, Crider said, she was able to elicit a timeline and nature of the contact that occurred during the summer of 2012.

A guardian was notified, Crider said, and the incident was reported to BPD.

Flynn was arrested March 6 following a voluntary interview in which Flynn’s statements were consistent with accusations that he had engaged in sexual intercourse with the now 15-year-old girl when she was 13, Crider said. Police reported his statements were aligned with the accusations that he had also inappropriately touched the 14-year-old girl, who was 13 years old at the time of the incident.

Prior to the arrest, both victims were interviewed at Susie’s Place, a Bloomington child advocacy center, in January, Crider said. Police also believe Flynn engaged in sexual contact with the now-15-year-old on several different occasions.

— Kirsten Clark