student life

Unify reaches out to greeks, campus

Unify, a student group created in April 2012, is working to bring the entire IU community together through community service, co-founder Kimberly Lucht said. She also said Unify was formed to create a cross-collaborative environment, starting with the greek community.

“There is a void in the system,” said Lucht, who is a Phi Mu member. “We want to fill the gaps. Everything can be improved. We want everyone to come do service with us.”
Every chapter has an individual philanthropy event, but Lucht said there is a difference between philanthropy and service.

“There is a difference in writing a check for $10 and serving for 10 minutes or 10 hours,” Lucht said.

Unify internal executive director Brad Boll said philanthropies generally just collect money for a cause, and participants do not see the effects of their donation.

“We saw a need for change, a change in the culture of the greek community, a change in the perception that we are doing something positive for the community,” Boll said.
Everyone is invited to participate in Unify.

“We don’t want to be known as greeks or non-greeks,” Boll said. “But we want to be known as the entire IU campus.”

Boll said non-greeks have different ideas, mindsets and perspectives than greeks that would help the community grow.

“I would like to see all of IU involved in our efforts,” Unify external executive director Zach Ackerman said. “There are so many people and so much untapped potential.”

The executive board is starting with the greek system because it is already a unified group, and then they will focus on expanding to include the rest of campus, which should be next spring.

“We want to get greeks involved before expanding,” Boll said. “But we invite everyone to join us. We need numbers to make a difference.”

The group has reached out to all four greek councils, including the Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Association, Pan-Hellenic Council and Multi-Cultural Greek Council. Lucht said everyone was on board. One goal is to have total chapter involvement, Boll said.

“What does the greek system really give to the campus?” Ackerman said. “This is a way for us to really give back.”

Boll said the goal is to have 15 events per semester. So far Unify has volunteered at Middle Way House, Hoosier Hills Food Bank and Girls Inc. On March 1, Unify is helping with a Lake Lemon cleanup for the Boys and Girls Club.

Beyond giving back to the community, volunteering together also builds camaraderie, Ackerman said.

“It is hard to change mentalities between greeks and non-greeks,” Lucht said. “It is very ‘us’ and ‘them,’ but there are people out there that will get involved and will meet people and will become really good friends as a result.”

Ackerman said Unify volunteers in community events, and they want to bring people together to give back.

“I have always tried to be actively involved,” Boll said. “I want to connect and bring everyone together.”

There are 40 members and 10 executives.

“It is hard to see the effects unless you are involved,” Lucht said.

Ackerman said he already feels like Unify has been a success and worth his time on an individual level.

“If the community can feel a difference, then that will be even more of a success,” Ackerman said.