student life

Student group promotes sobriety

caSober

Fifty-five people participated with College Lifestyles Excluding Alcohol and Recreational drugs at “Super Bowling” on Sunday.

CLEAR is a new student organization dedicated to providing active events for students as an alternative to partying with drugs and alcohol. The organization had their first call-out meeting in December.

“We saw a need for this,” CLEAR president Garrett Mintz said. “IU has a reputation as one of the biggest party schools. We wanted to show that there is fun to be had without getting drunk. We have fun events with great people.”

Mintz, a sophomore, said he took a year off between his freshman and sophomore year to do an internship in Utah. While he was there, he started a nonprofit to treat substance abuse, and when he got back, he started CLEAR.

Most events are free, chair of CLEAR public relations Deanna Peters said. However, they might have one event for which students will have to pay. This semester, Mintz said he wants to go skydiving as their big end-of-the-year event.

“We really want to go out with a bang,” Mintz said.

Mintz said they fundraised with Baked! and BuffaLouie’s where people can take flyers and then a percentage of the profits from that transaction goes to the organization.

CLEAR has also giftwrapped at Barnes and Noble. Peters said they plan to ask the city council for a grant, and IU Student Association gives grants to groups that promote well-being for the entire University.

“Our goal is to have fun, alternative events that promote sobriety,” Mintz said.

Vice president Caley Mintz, Garrett Mintz’s younger sister, said she thinks CLEAR is a great opportunity to get involved with people who don’t party.

“There’s a lot of people who think the only thing to do is drink, freshmen especially,” Caley Mintz said. “I would love to see this group prosper and get really big. I would love it to be another option for people.”

Their events have been pretty successful so far, Peters said. Last semester, they had a dodgeball game where about 50 people showed up, and they hope to continue to have high attendance, Peters said. This semester, they are planning a game of capture the flag, a scavenger hunt and rock climbing.

“I hope CLEAR becomes a community of itself,” Peters said. “I hope it lives past us. People can always have a game night or a cookout or a movie night. I hope people create their own ideas and invite others, so it becomes a community. It is a place where you can meet people with similar interests.”

Freshman Lucy Wang said she joined CLEAR because someone she knew introduced her to the organization. She said it is nice to meet new people and do fun activities while sober.

“There was a need for this,” Peters said.