New app can report structure damage

The City of Bloomington announced GeoReporter, a new Open311 issue reporting application, is now available for Android devices. The application was previously only available for Apple iOS devices.

Bloomington’s mobile applications work with uReport, Bloomington’s Open311 issue tracking server, according to a press release. Through the program, residents can report graffiti, potholes and malfunctioning streetlights.

“Reporting issues to the city helps us provide more efficient and timely service,” Mayor Mark Kruzan said in the release. “This technology helps us do our jobs and provides yet another avenue for valuable community input.”

Rick Dietz, director of information and technology services for Bloomington,said there is a movement toward a technological collaboration.

“We are part of that right here in Bloomington,” he said.

Application user Debby Herbenick said she first downloaded the application about a year ago.

“It only took them a few days to fix the light I reported,” Herbenick said. “But other issues like repairing a broken sidewalk can be bigger and more extensive problems that require more time and financial resources.”

Response times vary as to how long it takes for the city to respond to reports from the application.

Dietz said a number of different cities such as Chicago and Boston are utilizing the app.

“We are able to manage the intake of issues and process them efficiently,” Dietz said. “Users now have a new and convenient way to inform the city about a wide range of issues.”

Dietz said he hopes the application inspires Bloomington residents to feel closer to city government.

“We are part of a team in addressing community problems,” Dietz said.