Man charged with battery, pushes pills down wife's throat

An argument between a husband and wife Tuesday night resulted in a preliminary aggravated battery charge when the husband reportedly forced anxiety medication down his wife’s throat.

Bloomington police officers arrested Scott Lee Moore, 35, on a preliminary charge of domestic battery, a Class D felony. Moore is currently booked at the Monroe County
Jail with bond set at $4,000 surety and $500 cash.

Officers responded to the 1700 block of South Henderson Street at about 7:20 p.m. in reference to a disturbance at the residence. Upon arrival, officers spoke with the victim, 22, who told police she and her husband had been arguing the past few days about financial problems and Moore’s reported drug use, Lt. Steve Kellams said.

The woman told her husband she wanted to go to the hospital to have a mental evaluation performed, she told police. Moore then became upset, she told police, and reportedly grabbed the victim’s face and held her mouth open while he poured multiple Klonopin pills down her throat.

Kellams said two boys, one 3 years old and the other an infant, were present and awake during the incident.

After separating herself from Moore, the woman went to the bathroom, where she spit out several pills, she told police. Despite her efforts to expel the pills, she still swallowed some, Kellams said.

The woman then called 911, she told police, and Moore reportedly fled the residence prior to officers’ arrival.

Upon the arrival of Bloomington Police Department, the woman was examined by IU Health Bloomington Hospital personnel at the scene but was not transported to the hospital. While officers were at the residence, Moore returned and told police no incident had occurred, Kellams said. However, based on visible injuries to the victim’s lower lip, Kellams said, police arrested him.

Because children were present during the incident, Indiana Child Protective Services was notified, and the children stayed with relatives for the evening.

Kirsten Clark