student life

Freezing fundraiser to support Special Olympics

Fundraisers will plunge into chilly waters this Saturday for charity.

After registering for IU Student Foundation’s first Bloomington Polar Plunge, signing a waiver and raising funds through the Special Olympics of Indiana website, fundraisers can take the plunge into the freezing above-ground pool to demonstrate their support of Special Olympics athletes in Indiana.

“They are doing them all over the state for Special Olympics of Indiana,” said Melissa Wolter, assistant director of the IUSF.

Registration will be from 9:30-10:45 a.m. in the Assembly Hall South Lobby. The plunge will begin at 11 a.m. in the south parking lot. To participate, fundraisers must have collected at least $75 in pledges. Incentives will be given for different levels of funds raised.

Currently, there are about 170 people registered.

Some of the athletes being supported will make an appearance Saturday to cheer on the plungers.

“I’m excited for seeing the kids from Special Olympics,” said senior Lydia Schroeder, a member of IUSF. “It’ll be cool for the fundraisers to see who they’re impacting and where the money goes.”

Junior Chloe Cahill has raised $835 of the $13,346 raised so far for the Bloomington Polar Plunge. Cahill said she decided to participate with members of her sorority, Theta Phi Alpha, because her best friend Sophie’s little sister has autism.

“I’m actually kind of nervous because it’s going to be freezing,” Cahill said.

However, Cahill and the other plungers will be able to warm up at an After Splash Bash in the Assembly Hall South Lobby following the plunge.

A meal will be served while special awards are announced for best costume, most money raised by an individual, most money raised by a team and largest campus team. A $5 admittance fee will be charged for fans and spectators at the bash.

After all of the plunges taking place across Indiana have been completed, the Campus Challenge Award will go to the campus that raised the most funds.

While this is IU’s first year participating, Wolter said she hopes that in the future IU will be able to compete with schools like its longtime rival, Purdue University, whose plunge raised $50,652 this year.

Cahill said she is excited to be “Freezin’ For A Reason” Saturday.

“You’re actually doing something for a cause instead of just donating online,” Cahill said.

Registration is still open on the Special Olympics of Indiana website at soindiana.org/special-events/polar-plunge/2013-bloomington-polar-plunge/.