student life

School of Global and International Studies defines future goals

The School of Global and International Studies combined 14 different departments into one school. The new school plans to combine the strengths of the departments rather than merge them together.

“We are under the jurisdiction of the new school, but the departments are still themselves,” said Asma Afsaruddin, professor and chair in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures. “There were some concerns expressed that the departments would lose their identities, but the new alliances created are a very exciting opportunity for the departments to work together in cooperation.”

The Board of Trustees approved the new school. However, Director of International Programs Anthony Koliha said they are still working on how to “roll out the program.”

“One thing we have done well was that we did a good job of reaching out to get opinions from anyone who wanted to talk to us,” Koliha said. “We met at town hall several times and met with departments. We responded to all of our inquires and took them very seriously. We launched with a lot of input.”

The goal is to “highlight and consolidate,” Koliha said. He said they are hoping to increase opportunities for students to gain knowledge of global and international issues such as major thematic issues of global health and human rights. Also, they are hoping to encourage global careers in government and NGOs.

Afsaruddin also said they are going to “highlight area studies and contributions on a larger, international scale.” She said they would be able to reach their goals by combining resources and bringing in more speakers.

“There will be more strength displayed, which will expand horizons beyond national boundaries,” Afsaruddin said.

There are more than 350 core and affiliated faculty in the new school, Koliha said.

They are also going to work with the top-ranked professional schools in business, law, medicine and public health, such as the Kelley School of Business and SPEA.

The school is also offering more than 70 foreign language programs and more than 250 study-abroad destinations. The Department of International Studies is a bachelor of arts degree, but they are adding a bachelor of science degree. They are also working on an online program that will include a master’s degree program and online certificates.

“We are a leader in international and global studies,” Koliha said. “We have been and are continuing to build expertise.”