Rachael's Cafe holds "magic" benefit concert for Camp Kesem

entCampKesem Carousel

Raising $1,000 in three hours was something IU junior Emily Fisher said she never expected.

During its “Bring on the Magic” benefit concert at Rachael’s Café on Friday night, Camp Kesem and its staff — including its program coordinator, Fisher — raised money for a week-long, student-run summer camp.

The IU branch of Camp Kesem, a nationwide program of 41 campus chapters in 24 states, organizes a free camp experience for children ages 6 to 16 who have a parent currently or previously affected by cancer.

Fisher said the response Friday night was better than previous fundraising efforts the group coordinated.

In the past, Camp Kesem staff asked prospective Kroger shoppers to purchase needed supplies as donations to the camp or stood outside the bars on Kirkwood Avenue asking people for donations.

This semester, during one of the Kroger supply drives, Fisher said an employee of Rachael’s Café suggested the group organize a benefit concert at the local coffee shop and eatery.

Within the local venue Friday night, Camp Kesem garnered close to $1,000 in donations and saw about 80 participants stop in throughout the night.
Four local music acts were featured at the benefit. Each musician volunteered his or her time to the event, Fisher said.

The funds raised by “Bring on the Magic” will go to basic infrastructure purchases, such as new walkie-talkies for the camp counselors and general administrative expenses.

Fisher said the campsite itself costs about $50,000 to rent for the week and an additional expense of about $15,000 is spent each year for meals and activities for the children in attendance.

However, IU sophomore and Camp Kesem program co-coordinator Heidi Brueckmann said money is not the only thing helping to facilitate the camp’s main goals.

“I just love getting to see how happy we make these kids,” she said. “Because as much as we work and with all the money we raise, it’s ultimately all for them. It’s the best week of my summer.”