arts performances

Hightower praises local radio station

entHightower Carousel

To an audience that might refer to college as the “good ole days,” Jim Hightower, political radio commentator, spoke on behalf of the WFHB radio station.

In celebration of its 20th year in production, the WFHB FireHouse Broadcasting radio station invited Hightower to speak at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater Thursday night on the importance of community media.

Hightower, a national radio commentator for more than 150 commercial and public stations, Internet publications and Radio for Peace International, is praised for his humorous position towards politics, government and the fight for small businesses.

Donning blue jeans and a cowboy hat, Hightower walked to the podium and quoted Oscar Wilde — “be yourself, everyone else is already taken” — after thanking the sponsors that brought him to Bloomington.

“That is what makes Bloomington special,” he said. “You are yourself.”

Chad Carrothers, the general manager of WFHB, introduced the event to the nearly filled theater.

Carrothers began his speech talking about the creation of the WFHB radio station in Bloomington in 1993 and its relocation into the fire house at 108 W. Fourth St. in 1994.

“Over 20 years, WFHB has grown from radio into cultural organization and a powerful platform for change in the community,” he said.

Comprised of 200 members, the WFHB company is the ‘big little station you created’ Hightower said in celebration of WFHB’s past.

“It might not be the biggest station, but it is the biggest punch,” he said. “Your station is able to pick the punch because it is yours. It is unique.”

Hightower was chosen to speak for the Bloomington audience because of his references to local Bloomington organizations and his concern for a simpler frame of mind.

Those organizations, including the White River Central Labor Council, Move to Amend , IBEW Local 725 and Hoosiers for a Commonsense Health Plan, have all been referenced by Hightower in one of his media publications and helped sponsor the event.

Raised in Texas, Hightower is a graduate of the University of Northern Texas. He worked as legislative aide and was elected to two terms as Texas Agriculture Commissioner from 1983 to 1991 according to his personal website, jimhightower.com.  

In addition to being a nationally known public speaker and radio commentator, Hightower is the author of seven books including the New York Times bestseller, “Swim Against the Current: Even A Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow” published in 2008. He is also the author of the 13 year-old political newsletter called “The Hightower Lowdown” which reaches more than 135,000 subscribers.

Bloomington resident Delbert Crocker said he has been a subscriber for several years.

“I saw him on TV with Bill Moyers and was really impressed,” he said. “He tells it how it is.”

For Hightower, WFHB is the reason there is a rise in community radio rather than commercial media.

It puts the “‘unity’ in community,” connecting the feelings, emotions and senses of the residents to the message of the town, Hightower said.

“You (Bloomington) are WFHB,” he said. “The all-natural, organic, non-GMO, preservative-free spirit that America needs.”