student life

Fraternity spring rush season begins

caRush Carousel

Fraternity spring rush kicked off last Saturday on campus. Spring rush is typically smaller than fall recruitment and only lasts two weeks from the kickoff.

If men were unable to attend Saturday, Interfraternity Council Vice President of Communications Sean Jordan said they can simply contact individual recruitment chairs for specific fraternities they are interested in. He also said if they know members in a house, they can talk to them about it to get more information on getting involved.

“It is a lot more informal,”  Jordan said. “After the kickoff in the Union, we don’t have any more formal events. We let each chapter do their own thing.”

The men who want to participate have to show up to the kickoff in order to sign up, talk to fraternity members to get a feel for the chapter and get information on events. After attending the open events, each chapter gives out bids and potential members have until the end of rush to sign them.

“I like spring rush, because it is smaller and it is the second one of the year,” Alpha Tau Omega President Aaron Placzek said. “It is always easier to pick 15 guys as opposed to 40.”

Although most men choose to rush in the fall, it is not unusual for many to rush in the spring.

“Sometimes guys don’t know about greek life and so they miss out on it,” Placzek said. “Also, a lot of parents have bad views of fraternities and don’t want their kids to rush until they get their feet on their ground in order to start college off ‘right.’”

Jordan said he is excited for a new group of brothers, because the community is only as good as the men that make it up.

“If guys are questioning if they should join, they should look into it,” Jordan said. “There is a lot of value in joining a community.”

Sophomore Stephen Brown is rushing for the second time this spring. He rushed in the fall of his freshman year but said he did not find a place where he really fit. However, he said he is excited to rush again and said he thinks he will have a better chance this time.

“I am excited to meet as many people as possible, because you never know when you are going to see them again,” Brown said.

Tau Kappa Epsilon President Ben Rawlins said this is their first rush since they have been admitted back to campus. He said they would like 100 new brothers, but their goal is 20 since they have 15 members currently.

“This is a learning experience for us,” Rawlins said. “We will be approaching more guys instead of hoping that they will come to us. The more members we can get will bring us that much closer to getting a house.”

IFC and the president council have big plans for this semester, Jordan said. They want to implement “value integration” both academically and socially. They also want to recreate the community by using each other as resources rather than as rivals.

“I am excited to see where the community is headed,” Jordan said.