sports wrestling

Hoosiers prepare for No. 1 Penn State

Coming off of an exceptional 3-0 day in the Hoosier Duals that took place last weekend, IU wrestling is looking to improve their record to 6-2 against Big Ten conference rival Penn State. According to InterMatWrestling.com, Penn State is ranked No. 1 in college wrestling. However, this will not deter IU Coach Duane Goldman’s boys from performing at their highest level.

“Penn State is the three-time defending NCAA Champion and are ranked first again this season,” Goldman said. “Big Ten wrestling is extremely physical. We have been placing a lot of emphasis on that fact.”

Though the team will be going into what is expected to be a tough match, Goldman said he is pleased with how the team performed in the Hoosier Duals. Goldman stated that the competition was what they were looking for and it presented them with highly contested matches that will aid in preparing for Penn State. Goldman also stated he wants this performance to carry over into the Penn State match.

“Our guys wrestled hard and really seemed to be trying to address the areas that we have been emphasizing in practice,” Goldman said. “There are still many areas that we need to focus and improve, but I was pleased with their effort.”

With the solid performance last weekend, Goldman is looking to keep up the intensity and keep responding to the competition with an aggressive approach. Practices continue to focus on an individual style approach, helping all of the wrestlers to focus on the areas in which they need to improve. With these practices, as with tournaments and matches before, Goldman is looking for his wrestlers to be held accountable for their performance and give the team all they have.

The team will need to bring their top performances against No. 1 Penn State if they hope to come away with a victory. According to InterMatWrestling.com, out of the 10 weight classes that compete, Penn State holds a top-20 position in eight of the classes and holds a top-10 position in seven of the positions. This includes Penn State’s Ed Ruth, who is currently ranked No. 1 at the 184 position. Besides Ruth, Penn State’s lowest ranking is a No. 15 spot at the heavyweight position. With these top wrestlers, the Hoosiers are expecting a close match that will test the training of the team.

Because this match will feature two Big Ten teams in a heated dual, it is important for all wrestlers to wrestle to the best of their ability.

“While it is always our goal to compete at our best, Big Ten matches are even more important as they affect seeding down the line,” Goldman said.

Coach Goldman and his wrestlers will be ready for action in State College, Pa., to take on the Nittany Lions in full force.

“It is a great opportunity for our guys to compete at their highest level, to battle hard for every point and walk off the mat with their heads held high,” Goldman said.