sports wrestling

No. 41 Hoosiers finish 1-2 at Huskie Duals

FROM IDS REPORTS

Their second weekend in a row on the road, the No. 41 Hoosiers ended just shy of the mark, finishing the Northern Illinois Quad Huskie Duals with a 1-2
record.

Sophomore Taylor Walsh at the 157-pound position and juniors Ryan LeBlanc and Adam Chalfant at the 165- and 285-weight class positions, respectively, were all nationally ranked going into this event. They were the only wrestlers of the day to earn a 3-0 record.

The first dual of the day paired the Hoosiers against South Dakota State.

The Hoosiers got off to a slow start, with both the 125- and 133-weight classes falling to the Jackrabbits. Sophomore Joe Duca at the 125-pound weight class lost his match on a decision, 8-5. Freshman Quin Murphy at the 133-pound weight class was pinned after 56 seconds of match time.

Of the 10 weight classes in action in the first match, five positions were victorious, including the only Hoosier pin of the dual coming from Chalfant at the 285 position against J.J. Everard. However, the five wins would not be enough to clinch the dual, and the Hoosiers suffered an 18-19 loss against the Jackrabbits.

The Hoosiers had a strong showing in the second dual against Tiffin, with only sophomore Cheney Dale at the 174-pound weight class and senior Tarek Alaruri at the 197 spot losing to the Dragons.

Dale was defeated by Tiffin’s Jake Cramer by a decision, 7-2. Alaruri lost by decision to Tiffin’s Alek Hughes 6-0. IU saw three pins in this dual, coming from redshirt freshman Alex Gregory and sophomores Taylor Walsh and Luke Sheridan. These pins ultimately helped the Hoosiers reach a 38-6 win against the Dragons.

Sitting on a 1-1 record, the Hoosiers entered the final dual of the match against Northern Illinois, hopeful for one last win. However, the IU team would not be triumphant.

IU won in four weight classes in the match, including the three nationally ranked Hoosiers. Freshman Quin Murphy also pulled out a 11-6 victory in the 133-pound weight class against NIU’s Thorian Twyner.

The Hoosiers would go on to lose to the Huskies with a score of 19-13, finishing the day with only one team victory.

Taylor Grayson