student life

Hazing parody raises concerns

With fall fraternity rush complete, former pledges have recently begun their new life as members of the greek community.

Although “fraternity” by its definition implies brotherhood, a YouTube video banned last year depicts fraternity life at IU as one ruled by hazing. The video was reposted online in early September.

Titled “Fratline: The Hazing Barrier,” the video examines hazing as a cultural aspect of greek life. Although a parody, the video raised concerns within the IU community.  

Interfraternity Council Vice President of Communications William Kragie said the council requested the video be taken down. 

“Although a total farce, we didn’t think it reflected well on the IU greek system,” Kragie said.

“Fratline” begins by showing how the greek system mentors young men by promoting values such as brotherhood and intellectual advancement.

Shortly afterward, it introduces the idea of the “pledge master” or “pledge educator.” The pledge master “must embody the best traits of the fraternity as he guides them on their path through initiation,” the video explains.

The video depicts the pledge master as an abusive and unconcerned influence in the pledges’ initiation journey.

Throughout the video, the pledge master is seen forcing pledges to perform actions against their will and bribes the fraternity president to become pledge master.

The video never names a specific fraternity, but the credits at the end of the video include names of IU students.

Although the video itself is a parody, Michael Goodman, student life and learning assistant director for fraternity and sorority life, said the issue of hazing the video addresses is still very real at IU.

“There are currently incidents of hazing that are being addressed by Student Life and Learning and other partners within the Division of Student Affairs,” he said. “With the semester well on its way and men and women joining and showing interest in fraternities and sororities, hazing practices are becoming more and more exposed.

“We address all reports of hazing either informally or formally through the Student Organization Ethics Board process.”

The video remains posted on YouTube and has attracted more than 27,000 views.

With sorority rush approaching, Goodman said students, staff, faculty and the community are encouraged to anonymously report any form of hazing to the Student Life and Learning office at 812-855-4311 or the IU Police Department at 812-855-4111.

“I think the video highlights several different themes we see in men’s and women’s hazing practices and is a disappointing depiction of fraternity life at Indiana University,” Goodman said. “...We know our students are better than this, and I am disappointed that this adds another layer of negative representation.”