2 buildings win architecture awards

0000-Sc-549499155

The 2012 American Institute of Architects Indiana Design Awards were announced this past week, with the University's $37-million, 123,000-square-foot Cyber Infrastructure Building winning a Merit Award for design excellence. Luke Schram Buy Photos

Cyberinfrastructure Building

The Cyberinfrastructure Building, opened in 2011, received a Merit Award in the New Construction category.

“Good use of simple forms and shadows,” the jurors wrote in their assessment. “Richly articulated envelope. Good ceilings and subtle use of color. Good layering of surfaces.”

But architects of SmithGroupJJR of Washington said they considered more than the appearance in the design.

“To reflect the rapidly changing nature of IT, where technology professionals previously cloistered in dark cubicles have been replaced by bright young minds with a facility for collaboration and interaction, and UITS finds itself competing for talent with the likes of Google and Facebook, the CIB offers openness, transparency and flexibility,” said Sandra Knight, director of public relations for SmithGroupJJR.

Bradley Wheeler, vice president of information technology and chief information officer at IU, said the design works.

“Now you can have that chance meeting on the staircase and can freely exchange ideas in the cubicle-free office,” he said.

The Cyberinfrastructure Building also received an Award of Merit from the Virginia Society of the AIA. The jury — Joseph Bilello of Ball State College of Architecture and Planning, Steve Alspaugh of Schmidt Associates in Indianapolis and Bruce Race of RACESTUDIO — honored the building for its modern and minimal structures.

“Open, naturally lighted interiors engage the users with informal, collaborative spaces,” the jurors said in their report.

The Cyberinfrastructure Building is also energy-efficient and is working toward Gold Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification.

IU Cinema and Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center

Rowland Design, Inc. of Indianapolis was contracted by IU in 2002 to “provide a new identity for the University’s nationally recognized Theatre Arts program,” according to the project submission.

The remodeled building, which opened to the public in 2010, received a Merit Award in the Preservation/Adaptive Reuse/Renovation category.

The jury said preservation and renovation of IU Cinema and the Theater and Drama building was clever and that the use of artificial light is dramatic and playful and pulls visitors through the space.

“Creative use of large vertical volume of space while leaving its critical original essence in place,” the jury wrote in its assessment. “Good choice of materials and systems relating to what to keep and not keep. Creative repurposing of existing materials.”

Renovations included a performance space to seat 60 people and multiple classrooms and rehearsal rooms. A Movement Studio with a skylight was also added to provide a space to teach dance, theater movement and acrobatics.

“We now have a building worthy of the dreams the student will bring to it,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in a press release regarding the unveiling of the new building. “This has truly been a remarkable transformation of a once inadequate space.”

0000-Sc-654877881

0000-Sc1346129514

0000-Sc1285548054

0000-Sc2096080249

The 2012 American Institute of Architects Indiana Design Awards were announced this past week, with the University Theater winning a Merit Award for its classroom and performance space renovations. Luke Schram Buy Photos

0000-Sc1483531024

0000-Sc-1052606937

More