NBA & Hip-Hop

The 2012-13 NBA season has commenced. Ballin’.

If you have a burning desire for high flying dunks, thunderous three-balls and pricey prima donnas, this might very well be your favorite time of the year.

One thing is certain: rappers are surely excited to kick off another NBA season that promises the drama and excitement that so effectively captivates viewers across the world.

Rappers have a slightly different affection for the sport so vividly defined by “His
Airness.” Jay-Z, among many others, has likened himself to number 23 in many a verse.

Jigga might have finally staked his claim to that juxtaposition.

Jay is not only a part owner of the newly located Brooklyn Nets. He also designed the team’s new uniform and brought a respectability amongst players back to the organization, bringing in big bucket stars like Deron Williams and Joe Johnson.

Albeit you don’t have to get down with the NBA to lead a successful career in the rap game. Rick Ross compared himself to the New England Patriots on French Montana’s “Pop That,” but that doesn’t have the same ring to it as Big Sean dropping “good lordy, whoadie, I just took more shots than Kobe.”

October’s very own Miami Heat fan once said, “Damn, I swear sports and music are so synonymous. Cause we want to be them, and they want to be us.”

I’m not sure hanging out with a bunch of Kentucky kids will get you there, Drake. Everybody knows Indiana is the basketball state.

Drake brings up an interesting point. With as much comparing as rappers do to this sport and the stars who thrive at it, there is little doubt these artists have the utmost respect for a thoroughbred hooper.

On the other hand, do the athletes share the love?

Absolutely.

The list is actually unbearably long, but some notable efforts from athletes in the rap game sound a lot like the former Ron Artest, Delonte West, Allen Iverson and Shaquille O’Neal.

Shaq has even used rap as a platform to express his dislike of former teammate Kobe Bryant.

Shaq rapped the ultimate question to Bryant after losing the 2008 NBA Finals without him, “Kobe, how my ass taste?”

Maybe the recently fallen out former teammates Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen will hit up O’Neal for a bit of help with some celebratory raps for next year.

By Patrick Guilfoyle