Kroger recalls spinach in 15 states, including Ind.

Kroger is recalling spinach sold at its grocery stores in 15 states, including Indiana, because of potential listeria contamination.

Consumers who purchased the grocer’s Kroger Fresh Selections Tender Spinach, sold in 10-ounce packages with a “best if used by” date of Sept. 16, are being asked to return the produce for a full refund or replacement, according to a press release.

When eaten, listeria primarily affects older adults, pregnant women, newborns and adults with weakened immune systems, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

People without these risk factors can be affected but rarely are.

Other areas affected by the recall include central and eastern Tennessee, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina and Michigan.

The recall is also in effect at Kroger’s JayC, Owen’s, Pay Less, Scott’s and Food 4 Less stores in Indiana, Illinois and eastern Missouri.

Dillons, Baker’s and Gerbes stores are also affected in Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska, according to the release.

Kroger is one of the world’s largest retailers, employing more than 339,000 associates serving customers in 2,425 supermarkets and multi-department stores in 31 states.
The grocer has since removed the affected items from store shelves.

Customers who might have purchased contaminated spinach should expect to receive a register receipt message or an automated phone call. Kroger is also placing signs in stores’ produce departments.

— Mark Keierleber