Hoosiers defeat UMass 45-6 on the road

Football IU vs. UMass

IU Football defeated UMass 45-6 at Gillette Stadium in Week 2.

The win marks the first FBS victory and road win for second year head coach Kevin Wilson.

In the first quarter, the Hoosiers posted 21 points off of a 50 yard TD run by QB Tre Roberson, a 39 run by Roberson, and a five yard pass to WR Shane Wynn (21-6).

Two minutes into the second quarter, Roberson went down with a leg injury in the red zone. An ambulance took the Indianapolis native off the field. Multiple people close to Roberson have tweeted that his leg is broken.

Backup QB Cam Coffman came onto the field and continue to run the offense smoothly. The Hoosiers scored two more TDs, a two yard run by RB Stephen Houston and then, another two yard run by RB Isaiah Roundtree towards the end of the first half. Hoosiers led 38-6 at halftime.

IU scored one more time time in the game. The Hoosiers scored with 13:09 in the fourth quarter on a 12 yd TD pass from Coffman to TE Charles Love III. Freshman QB Nate Sudfeld also received playing time in the fourth quarter, which takes away his redshirt abilities.

IU recorded 606 total yards (321 rush and 285 pass) on offense to UMass’ 264 yards. Coffman went 16 for 22 with 159 yards and one TD.  Also, four rushing touchdowns for the Hoosiers.

Next week on Saturday at 8 PM, the Hoosiers will face Ball State at Memorial Stadium. Game will be played on the Big Ten Network.