Breakfast raises money for ministry

Episcopal Campus Ministry sponsors pancake breakfast in Dunn Meadow

Dozens of pancakes ended up on the ground Saturday in Dunn Meadow during the Episcopal Campus Ministry at IU fundraiser.

Those with tickets had access to an all-you-can-eat breakfast prepared by FARMbloomington.

The breakfast included sausage, coffee, juice and pancakes.

The pancake toppings included marshmallow fluff and coconut in addition to more traditional ones like syrup, chocolate chips and walnuts.

Linda Johnson and Reynolds Whalen, a member of the Episcopal Campus Ministry group, said hundreds stood in line during the day waiting to catch pancakes that were flipped onto their plates.

The money raised went to the campus ministry’s new building, The Canterbury House,  at 719 East Seventh St.

“It might seem weird to raise money for a house, but we wanted a safe place where students could ask difficult questions,” Whalen said. “The money is going towards doing repairs on the house and for the mortgage payment.”

Originally, Johnson planned to be dunked in a booth at the fundraiser. Due to drought conditions, the group decided to cancel that portion of the event to conserve water.
Ticket holders had the opportunity to play games. A bean bag toss game, footballs, hula hoops, soccer balls, Frisbee discs and colored bubbles were provided for attendees to use.

For an additional donation of $5, participants could take a 10-minute ride in a Model A or Model T car.

The ministry group received donations from local businesses for a raffle.
To learn more about the Episcopal Campus Ministry, email The Canterbury House at
canterby@indiana.edu.