How to get around

Bus crowd

Even though you might not have a car and are in an unfamiliar place, don’t worry - there are plenty of easy and free ways to navigate Bloomington and the areas around it.

BIKING & WALKING

The majority of students either bike or walk to class, which are the easiest ways to get around campus.

The city has many easily accessible bike paths.

“It is beautiful around campus, and I walk as my main source of exercise,” IU 2011 graduate Meredith Hanrahan said. “I don’t think any distance is too long to walk on campus.”

BUSES

Both the city and IU offer buses around campus and town. Bloomington Transit provides free transportation on any route to those with an IU student ID.

A route commonly used by students is the 9, which goes to College Mall and Kroger, allowing easy access to groceries and shopping.

IU buses also travel pretty much anywhere you need to go on campus, including Memorial Stadium and Third Street.

TAXI & OTHER OPTIONS

If you can’t catch a bus and don’t feel like walking, you can always call a cab. Rates are billed by zone, person and sometimes carry-on items, like large suitcases.

Bloomington resident Emily Brown said cabs are a nice convenience.

“I don’t often use cabs, but it is good to have another option,” she said.

ZIPCAR

Zipcars are cars parked on campus that can be taken out. After a registration process, you receive a card. You simply reserve a car at a certain time and pick it up.

IU SAFETY ESCORT

If it’s late at night and you’re not comfortable walking, you can call the IU Safety Escort. This service will transport you from any campus location to another or from one off-campus location to a campus location, or vice versa, for free.

TRAVEL TO OTHER COUNTIES OR CITIES

If you’re looking to explore Indianapolis or another part of the country and need to get to the airport, there are many options.

Bloomington Shuttle and Star of America both offer shuttle rides to the airport for $15, and they pick up from several campus locations.

Mi Sook Kim, a Bloomington resident, said the shuttle is worth it.

“Shuttles to Indianapolis Airport definitely make (it an) easier trip to other states."