Juneau, Monette fall to highly ranked pros at ATP tourney in Quebec

Men's tennis

Indiana men’s tennis players Samuel Monette and Isade Juneau are gaining competition experience far outside the reach of the Big Ten, playing singles and doubles at the Challenger Banque Nationale de Granby tournament in Granby,
Quebec.

The tournament, which runs through July 22, is an Association of Tennis Professionals Challenger Tour event. Monette and Juneau battle highly ranked, experienced professionals as they try to stay sharp this offseason.

A senior at IU this fall, Juneau (No. 1,522 ATP) lost Wednesday to Daniel Garza (No. 425) of Mexico, 6-2, 6-4 in the first round of the singles draw.

Monette, ranked 1,274 by the ATP, fell to fellow Canadian Milan Pokrajac (No. 724) 6-4, 6-2 in the main singles draw.

Both Juneau and Monette are natives of Repentigny, Quebec.

Monette qualified for the singles draw as a wildcard, while Juneau earned five points toward an ATP ranking by advancing through the singles qualifying rounds,

Prior to singles play, Juneau and Monette paired in doubles Monday and lost in straight sets to the doubles tandem of Richard Bloomfield (Great Britain) and Toshihide Matsui (Japan), 2-6, 6-7 (4).

Bloomfield and Matsui have each played professionally for more than 10 years.

During the 2011-12 season with IU, Juneau  finished with a singles record of 23-13, including 17-12 in first singles and 6-1 on tour. en route to earning All-Big
Ten honors.

For his collegiate career, Juneau is 73-35 in singles matches.

Monette  won numerous Canadian National titles as a junior.

— Joe Popely