Ewald named to 2012 Lou Groza College Place-Kicker Award Watch List

For the second straight season, junior kicker Mitch Ewald has been named to the 2012 Lou Groza College Place-Kicker Award Watch List, the Palm Beach County Sports Commission announced Wednesday morning.

Indiana’s all-time career field goal percentage leader, Ewald has made 29 field goals in 35 attempts (82.9 percent) and is a perfect 63-of-63 on extra points. His field goal percentage is also seventh among active kickers.

Ewald’s percentage in Big Ten games is even more impressive. In 16 career conference games, Ewald is 20-of-23 (87 percent) on field goals and has made all 35 extra points.

A native of Naperville, Ill., Ewald’s 29 career field goals rank seventh in IU history.

Ewald joins 29 other kickers on the watch list, which will be trimmed to 20 semifinalists on Monday, Nov. 5. From there, a panel of over 300 experts will select three finalists by Monday, Nov. 19.

Like the John Mackey Award, the winner of the Lou Groza award will be announced Dec. 6 during The Home Depot College football Awards Red Carpet Show on ESPNU.

An annual award, the Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Award will be presented to the best kicker in NCCAA Division I college football for the 21st time. For more information on the award, visit www.lougrozaaward.com.

--Joe Popely