Loukas makes US Olympic Team

The 2012 U.S. Olympic Team Diving Trials came to a close with one former Hoosier, Christina Loukas, qualifying for the 2012 London Olympics after her second place finish in the senior women’s 3m springboard competition.

Loukas finished with 1,017.85 points, sealing her spot in a second consecutive trip to the Olympics. The top two finishers made the U.S. Olympic Diving team.

The competition was fierce over the seven-day trials at the Weyerhause Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Wash., as 120 divers competed for 14 coveted spots on the Olympic team.

Current and former Hoosiers made it onto the board, but fell short of securing a spot on the team. Divers started collecting points in the preliminary rounds and accumulated them through the final rounds for a cumulative final score.

Loukas and partner Kassidy Cook finished second in the synchronized women’s 3m springboard with a total of 955.98 points. Former IU divers Gabriella Agostino and Logan Kline finished sixth (742.20 points.).

Only the top pair in that event made the Olympic team.

Former IU diver Zachary Nees and his partner Samuel Dorman took seventh place in the synchronized men 3m springboard with a total of 1,028.73 points. Nees also placed twelfth in the senior men platform event with an individual score of 1,081.80 points.

Two other Hoosiers ended the trials with strong finishes in the senior women’s platform event. Amy Cozad missed making the Olympic team by just 20 points, claiming third with 1,004.00 points.

Amy Korthauer ranked sixth in the event with 939.00 points.

Loukas finished just 77 points behind first place winner, Cassidy Krug, in the senior women’s 3m springboard. Loukas will join Krug at the Olympic Games in London.

--Shannon Ireland