Hesen swam the event in 53.03 seconds, less then a second behind winner and Northwestern alum Matt Grevers (52.08) and Nick Thorman (52.86).
Grevers’ time is the second-fastest time in history. As the top two finishers, Grevers and Thorman earned Olympic berths.
Below are the results of current Hoosiers that competed at the Trials today:
• Junior Lindsay Vrooman: 31st in the women’s 200 freestyle with a time of 2:01.30
• Incoming freshman Haley Lips: 35th in the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:01.63
• Big Ten Swimmer of the Year Allysa Vavra: 28th in the 200-meter individual medley with a time of 2:17.47
• Sophomore Steve Schmul: Disqualified from the 200-meter butterfly
• Recent graduate Kim Tracey: Disqualified from the 200-individual medley--Joe Popely
Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.
More in Sports
The conference announced IU as its newest water polo affiliate Friday.
The former Hoosier will play with Atlanta during the NBA Summer League in July.
Senior wide receiver J-Shun Harris II is working his way back from a third ACL tear to be a shining light to others.