Hesen swam the event in 53.03 seconds, less then a second behind winner and Northwestern alum Matt Grevers (52.08) and Nick Thorman (52.86).
Grevers’ time is the second-fastest time in history. As the top two finishers, Grevers and Thorman earned Olympic berths.
Below are the results of current Hoosiers that competed at the Trials today:
• Junior Lindsay Vrooman: 31st in the women’s 200 freestyle with a time of 2:01.30
• Incoming freshman Haley Lips: 35th in the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:01.63
• Big Ten Swimmer of the Year Allysa Vavra: 28th in the 200-meter individual medley with a time of 2:17.47
• Sophomore Steve Schmul: Disqualified from the 200-meter butterfly
• Recent graduate Kim Tracey: Disqualified from the 200-individual medley--Joe Popely
Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.
More in 2012 Olympics
IU flashed its great talent in a nearly perfect performance.
Morgan Ellison and Cole Gest each ran for more than 100 yards Saturday.
IU's seniors bid Memorial Stadium goodbye with a commanding 41-0 win.