Following attempted robbery, suspect arrested for shooting dog, Bloomington man

An Indianapolis-area man was arrested by Bloomington Police for attempted murder Saturday after shooting a Bloomington man during an attempted robbery.

At about 10:50 p.m. Friday, officers responded to the 2600 block of North Walnut Street after being advised that a 20-year-old man had been shot in the groin, BPD Lt. Faron Lake said.

According to the victim’s account, Lake said Lavon Bartlett, 20, and Nigel Dowdy, 20, both from the Indianapolis area, entered the victim’s residence at Park Place Apartments and attempted to rob him.

When the victim resisted, Bartlett allegedly shot the man’s dog in the paw.

Bartlett and Dowdy then left the apartment, Lake said, but the victim followed them outside. Bartlett then allegedly shot the victim in the groin area before fleeing the scene. The victim was transported to IU Health Bloomington Hospital.

Using a lead the victim gave detectives, Bartlett and Dowdy were arrested in the Indianapolis area without incident, Lake said.

Bartlett was booked into the Monroe County Jail at about 3:27 a.m. Sunday without bond for attempted murder, robbery, criminal recklessness, cruelty to animals and possession of a handgun without a permit.

For robbery, criminal recklessness and theft, Dowdy was booked at about 1 a.m. Saturday with a $50,000 surety or $500 cash bond.

This is the second shooting in Bloomington within the last week.

BPD officers arrested Carlos Nunez at an Indianapolis Apartment complex Wednesday after he allegedly shot two men near a swimming pool at College Mall Apartments in the 2600 block of East Second Street on Tuesday.

— Mark Keierleber