Broce named head men's golf coach at Toledo

Former IU Assistant Men’s Golf Coach Jamie Broce was named head men’s golf coach at the University of Toledo, Rockets Athletic Director Mike O’Brien announced Tuesday.

“We are thrilled that Jamie Broce has been named the head men’s golf coach at Toledo,” Indiana men’s golf Head Coach Mike Mayer said in a release. “He has done a tremendous job here at IU and he is ready for his next challenge. We wish him, and his family, nothing but the best as they start this new journey.”  

Broce coached under Mayer for the past four seasons. Prior to that, he was a touring professional for nine years and played college golf at Ball State.

"I'm very excited to become the head coach of the Rockets," Broce said in a release. "Toledo has such a great golfing heritage, both at UT and in the community. When I was in school, Toledo had a terrific program, one of the best in the MAC. I'm looking forward to working with the players who are there now and developing the program in the years to come.

“There is a great opportunity for success at UT, and I can't wait to get started."

Broce helped the Hoosiers reach lofty heights during his tenure at IU. This past season, the team finished second at the Big Ten Championships and advanced to the NCAA Regionals, where they finished in ninth place.

In 2011, IU won four tournament titles and recorded nine top-five finishes.

For 2010, the Hoosiers earned team titles at the Renaissance Intercollegiate and Adidas Hoosier Invitational. In total, the team recorded five top-5 finishes.

During Broces’s first season in 2009, IU was ranked in the top-10 nationally for much of the year, polling as high as No. 4.  The Hoosiers also won two team titles that season: the inaugural Big Ten Match Play Championship and Adidas Hoosier Invitational.

"We are very fortunate to have Jamie join our staff," O'Brien, Toledo’s athletic director, said. "Jamie has an impressive golf background, both as a player and as a teacher of the game. His experience at Indiana and as a private instructor will greatly benefit our men's golf program. We look forward to welcoming Jamie into the Rocket family."

As for his professional golfing career, Broce secured three top-four finishes while playing on the Nationwide Tour from 2005-07. He also competed in the National Golf Association Hooters Tour (2002-04, 2008).

In 2000, Broce qualified for and played in the PGA Greater Milwaukee Open.

“We have no doubt that Coach Broce will see tremendous success as coach of the Rockets,” Mayer, IU head coach, said in a release. “It is gratifying to have two of our former assistants (Josh Brewer, head women’s coach at the University of Georgia, and Broce) become head coaches at very high levels.”

Beyond coaching college golfers, Broce has experience as a private golf instructor.

Broce co-founded the Blair/Broce Junior Golf Academy in LaPorte, IN. He has also served as an instructor at golf clinics hosted by the Nationwide and NGA Hooters Tours.

At Ball State, Broce was named Mid-American Conference Player of the Year and Sportsman of the Year Awards as a senior in 1999.

For his collegeiate career, Broce earned several other notable awards: Academic All-American (1998-99), NCAA Third Team All-American (1999) and the Ben Hogan Award (awarded to the nation's top golf student-athlete) in 1998. He captained the Cardinal golf team for three years and won six college tournaments.

Broce and his wife Darci have a daughter, Peyton (12) and a son, Preston (9).

--Joe Popely