ANNOUNCEMENT   Jim Rodenbush named new director of IU Student Media | 3 hours ago

People pack Bluebird for Christina Perri show

0000-OH-1445624026

Christina Perri sings a song from her debut album "lovestrong" on Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. Perri's breakout single "Jar of Hearts" caught fans' attention after being featured on Fox's So You Think You Can Dance competition show. Caitlin O'Hara / Caitlin O'Hara Buy Photos

The crowd wasn’t convinced she would play her first show in Bloomington without singing the platinum song that eventually led to a record deal with Atlantic Records.

Perri sat down behind the piano for an encore as the audience began to cheer and clap.

“This particular song changed my whole life,” Perri said into the microphone. “But it’s not me. It’s you guys. You listened to the radio, you requested it and you downloaded it.”

People packed into the Bluebird on Tuesday night to watch the Philadelphia native perform nine of the 16 tracks from the deluxe edition of her album “lovestrong.” along with two new songs and a cover of the Ronettes’ 1963 song “Be My Baby.” Perri’s album was released last May, and she has been touring for the past two and a half weeks with the band Sleeping At Last, which opened for Perri.

“(I’m here because) I love Christina Perri. I love the way she gets into her music and is really open to her fans,” said Jerry Bowling, a recent Purdue graduate who said he was enjoying his first visit to Bloomington for the show. “Everyone wants to hear ‘Jar of Hearts,’ so I’ll say I’m really looking forward to ‘Arms.’ That’s also one of my
favorites.”

So far, Perri has released three successful singles: her breakout single “Jar of Hearts,” “Arms” and “A Thousand Years,” which was featured on the 2011 album for “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1.”  

A barefoot Ryan O’Neal also performed the song “Quicksand,”  which was featured on ABC’s TV show “Grey’s Anatomy,” before Perri’s set.

“I’m so excited you guys would come and spend your evening with us,” Perri said after the first song “Bang Bang Bang,” one of the more upbeat numbers on her album.

Drummer Jacob Marshal1, who had been playing in the band for just the past four days, said he is excited to tour with Perri.

“I definitely get lost up there (on stage), and the more I lose myself, I think it’s contagious,” Marshall said.

Bloomington resident Lehua Aplaca attended the concert with Bloomington resident and friend Denise Alexander, who said she first heard “Jar of Hearts” on “So You Think You Can Dance?”

Perri’s singles “Jar of Hearts” and “A Thousand Years” were the only songs Apalca said she had heard before attending the concert.

“This is awesome that the Bluebird is bringing more mainstream artists,” Aplaca said.

“Usually, you have to go to (Indianapolis) to see these kinds of artists, and gas is really expensive right now, so this is really convenient.”

At the end of “Jar of Hearts,” Perri threw red and yellow roses out to the crowd.

“Live shows are a great way to get to know an artist,” Aplaca said.

0000-OH-1588599829

Christina Perri sings "Distance" on Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. Perri recorded the duet with musician Jason Mraz but guitarist John Hanson stepped in for Mraz at Tuesday's performance. Caitlin O'Hara / Caitlin O'Hara Buy Photos

0000-OH1950260427

Christina Perri performs Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. She gave the red roses that adorned her white piano to fans throughout the show. Caitlin O'Hara / Caitlin O'Hara Buy Photos

0000-OH-1526202885

Christina Perri sings and plays the piano Tuesday at the Blubird Bar. The stage was decorated with fresh flowers. Caitlin O'Hara / Caitlin O'Hara Buy Photos

0000-OH646114859

0000-OH857443241

Christina Perri and guitarist John Hanson playfully perform Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. Caitlin O'Hara / Caitlin O'Hara Buy Photos

0000-OH1767100092

Christina Perri sings a song from her debut album "lovestrong" on Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. Perri told the crowd that she and Jason Mraz would be returning to Indiana later this summer. Caitlin O'Hara / Caitlin O'Hara Buy Photos

0000-OH-1240117779

Christina Perri debuts new song "Crazy" on Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. Perri said the song was so brand new that it still gave her butterflies to perform it live. Caitlin O'Hara / Caitlin O'Hara Buy Photos

0000-_A1089216211

Ryan O'Neal plays with his band, Sleeping At Last, before Christina Perri's set Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. O'Neal has had songs featured on the Grey's Anatomy and Twighlight: Breaking Dawn soundtracks. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

0000-_A-1018463413

Christina Perri looks down at audience members during one of the quieter moments in her performance at the Bluebird Nightclub Tuesday. Perri and her band performed 14 songs at the venue, including her hit, A Thousand Years, from the Twilight: Breaking Dawn soundtrack. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

0000-_A1959969972

Singer-songwriter Christina Perri plays on the keyboard beside bassist Jenni Tarma during her set at the Bluebird Nightclub on Tuesday. Perri and her four-man band performed 14 songs, including her breakthrough single, Jar of Hearts. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

0000-_A-1820998557

Guitarist Johnny Hanson and accordionist Jon Titterington perform Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. Hanson and Titterington are currently on tour with singer-songwriter Christina Perri. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

0000-_A-2142256108

Singer-songwriter Christina Perri smiles as she finishes a song to loud cheers and applause from the audience. Perri and her four-man band performed at the Bluebird Nightclub on Tuesday, one of their last stops in the US before they travel to Australia. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

0000-_A1784256448

Singer-songwriter Christina Perri, with arms and wrists adorned, plays a song on the keyboard during her set at the Bluebird Nightclub on Tuesday. Perri and her four-man band played 14 songs at the venue, including her hit, A Thousand Years, from the Twilight: Breaking Dawn soundtrack. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

0000-_A-1599885251

Singer-songwriter Christina Perri poses for a fan during her performance at the Bluebird Nightclub on Tuesday. The venue was one of Perri and her band's last stops in the US, before they travel to Australia to mark the beginning of their international tour. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

0000-_A1791717434

Bassist Jenni Tarma performs onstage at the Bluebird Nightclub. Tarma is a member of Christina Perri's band, which played a 14-song set at the venue on Tuesday. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

0000-_A-257958423

Singer-songwriter Christina Perri pauses and grins as she listens to fans sing a line from one of her songs. Perri and her four-man band performed a 14-song set Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

0000-_A1643894480

Singer-songwriter Christina Perri leans back as she completes a song during an emotion-laden performance Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. Perri and her four-man band are traveling to Australia in May, the first stop in their international tour. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

0000-_A1240445644

Singer-songwriter Christina Perri sings amidst the glow of neon lights onstage, Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. Perri and her four-man band performed 14 songs at the venue, including her breakthrough single, Jar of Hearts. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

0000-_A1917044773

Nurse Brianne Relly sings along as she records a video of singer-songwriter Christina Perri on her iPhone Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub. Relly's mother, Shaunna Corner, had won three VIP tickets, which gave her and her two daughters backstage access, where they took pictures with Perri and her band. Amelia Chong Buy Photos

More in Arts