IU Soul Revue celebrates 40 years

Much of Kirkwood Avenue was quieter than usual Saturday evening as students were busy preparing for finals.

However, music brought the Buskirk-Chumley Theater to life with the 40th-anniversary performance of the IU Soul Revue.

Inside the theater, audience members could hardly stay in their seats as the Soul Revue performed renditions of the great soul and rhythm and blues songs from throughout the years, including “I’m Going Down” by Rose Royce, “A Man’s World” by James Brown and “Love on Top” by Beyoncé.

With the theme “Music is Just a Party,” life and color dominated the room.

The crowd of 380 included patrons of all ages, who moved and grooved to the music in their seats and the aisles. Even during intermission, the audience members mingled with one another, laughing, hugging and reveling in good vibes.

However, while providing a festive atmosphere for patrons, the show also provided a learning experience for the Soul Revue members.

“The students get to understand the culture behind the music,” Director Nathanael Fareed Mahluli said.

Mahluli said in addition to learning about the music the group performs, the group also learns how to have fun with the performance.

This was proven as the Soul Revue performed on stage — members not only sang but interacted with each other and swayed along to the songs. While enjoying themselves on stage, the group captured the crowd’s attention.

“It was amazing,” freshman Geneva Moore said. “I just loved how the crowd was engaged.”

Moore, a member of the IU African American Dance Company, said while she came to the show to support her fellow performers, she enjoyed the atmosphere. The audience had a community vibe, Moore said.

“It’s all like one big family,” she said. “Everyone’s up, everyone’s singing and everyone’s dancing.”

Graduate student Brianna Marshall had similar thoughts about the performance.
“I loved the energy,” Marshall said. “I loved being able to dance.”

Marshall said the concert was a nice break from classes with finals coming up.

The Soul Revue performance concluded its party with a classic “Soul Train” line of current Soul Revue members and alumni members.

Audience members rose to their feet for a round of applause as the Soul Revue gave audiences a party to remember.