sports softball

IU offense fires on all cylinders during series win against Northwestern

IU vs. Northwestern

The Hoosiers took the series this weekend, winning two of three games this weekend against Big Ten rival Northwestern.

The first game, ending in a 8-6 win, was the most exciting of the three with an eight-run rally coming after the Wildcats gained four runs in the first inning and one run in the top of the second.

Senior Samantha Berenter led the Hoosier push with a two-run single.

Freshmen Shannon Cawley and Bri Meyer and sophomore Shelby Gogreve also had a pair of hits.  

The rally began with junior Amanda Wagner being hit by a pitch.

Meyer then singled, pushing Wagner to second. Senior Cassie Gogreve then grounded out, moving both runners into scoring position. 

Shelby Gogreve reached on an error, and the first run of the rally touched home plate. Immediately following, Berenter hit a sac fly to drive in Meyer.

The rally continued from both sides of the column as sophomore Meaghan Murphy retired the Wildcats in order in the top of the fifth.

Shelby Gogreve came to play again as she collected her second home run of the season to give IU an 8-6 lead they would have until the end of the game.

The win was the Hoosiers’ first home win against Northwestern in 12 years.

During this game, hometown walk-on junior Kelsey Brannon was honored as this year’s recipient of the Curtis R. Simic Scholarship for Student Leaders.

The honor is awarded to IU-Bloomington students who demonstrate outstanding leadership and commitment to the IU community.

According to a release from IU Athletics, Brannon was quoted as “exemplifying the essence of this scholarship — an exemplary work ethic, an unlimited commitment to the time it takes to reach her goals and being a leader by example.”

On Sunday, the Hoosiers and the Wildcats met again for a televised doubleheader.

In the first game, the Hoosiers fell 8-3 after gaining a lead in the second inning.

The Hoosiers gave up an early chance at gaining a major leader after bases were loaded.

Cassie Gogreve drove the ball up the middle, but the Wildcat pitcher fielded the ball and prevented a score.

“I think if we could’ve converted that hit, I think it would’ve been a whole different ball game,” IU Coach Michelle Gardner said.

After the missed opportunity, the Wildcats scored seven runs to the Hoosiers’ two.

However, the tiebreaker immediately following the loss told a different story with an 11-3 win.

The Hoosiers immediately hopped out to a two-run lead following an early run from the Wildcats in the top of the first.

Berenter picked up her second home run of the weekend, and Meyer went 3-for-4 with three RBI.

At the end of the day, Shelby Gogreve got the best of the Wildcats. The sophomore shortstop went 2-for-4 with four RBI, including a home run and a double that finished the game.

“After you get those buffer runs its fun, you start feeling a little loose,” Shelby Gogreve said. “You’re playing for fun, and it’s not pressing, and it just turns into the game that you’ve been playing your whole life without any stress.”

The Hoosiers continue their home stand against Louisville on Wednesday night.