sports softball

Hoosiers look to chop down Sycamores

Scoring early has been a touching point for IU Coach Michelle Gardner all season.

“When we score early, we come out on top, and I’ve just been looking forward to doing that consistently all season,” Gardner said. “I want them to score early every game, because when they do I think good things happen.”

In Indiana’s past 10 games, the Hoosiers (19-18) are 5-1 when scoring first. However, when allowing a run first, the Hoosiers are 0-4.

Hitting has been an overall strength throughout the lineup this season. Roughly half of the main hitters hold batting averages of more than .300. Just three of the team’s main hitters have single digit RBI total for the season.

“All of the girls are hitting well,” Gardner said. “It is just a matter of taking opportunities to score when they come to us.”

The Hoosiers have left runners in scoring position numerous times this season, and as the season continues, Gardner looks to her strength in hitting to finish those opportunities.

“(Junior) Amanda Wagner has been really strong,” Gardner said. “(Freshman) Bri Meyer and (sophomore) Jenna Abraham have also been hitting well for us. I think when they all hit well, we have been converting those opportunities.”

Yet for the most part, this hitting dominance has taken place toward the end of the game. Rallies have been a constant for this team thus far in the season. However, when hitting early, the Hoosiers have dominated.

Wagner previewed this strength this past weekend against Purdue. The Hoosier power hitter blasted two home runs in the first four innings of the opening game of the weekend, and Hoosiers went on to win 9-5.

“It’s not hard to get the team fired up when you are playing Purdue,” Gardner said. “I think they came out and had something to prove and got the bats going.”

Gardner intends to treat today’s game against the Indiana State Sycamores (13-22) just the same.

Sycamore pitching has been somewhat weaker than what the Hoosiers have seen the past three weekends in Big Ten play. The Hoosiers will look to capitalize early on in the matchup against likely Sycamore pitchers Lindsey Beisser or Ashli Scott. Beisser is 6-13 in her 25 appearances and holds a 2.02 ERA. Scott is 5-8 in 18 appearances with a 2.80 ERA.

Today’s game against the Hoosiers marks the second game of a 10-game home stand for the Sycamores.

Indiana State has struggled lately, only winning two of its past 20 games.

The “faceless” opponent theory of Gardner will present itself tonight against the Sycamores.

“I don’t think we are ever down or not in it,” Gardner said. “I think the girls are staying focused on what they need to do day in and day out. To us, every game from here on out is important, and that is how we will treat every game.”