Cycling through turn 3

0000-pg317808547

Cyclists crash during the 2011 Men's Little 500 bicycle race April 16, 2011, at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Chet Strange Buy Photos

Do you think turn three is more dangerous than the other turns?

MORROW

I would definitely agree that it’s the most treacherous turn out there, and it’s like that for a couple of reasons.

This season it’s been pretty tore up, they’ve never been able to work it down, there always seems to be some bad tread lines. Then when they do get it fixed, it washes out the track, and you get a lip on the concrete railing. Then, when it dries out, it gets
pretty dusty.

Not just this year, but all years, when you’re on the back stretch and people are “burning out,” (speeding up after an exchange) people are getting up to speed and pulling out of the pack, but once you hit that corner you kind of stop pedaling and lose that momentum. When you’re getting up to speed, you can’t keep up that speed through the turn.

IDS Do you have any plans to deal with turn three?

MORROW In (Individual Time Trials) there’s definitely strategy to it. My coach tells me, and I know a lot of other coaches tell their riders to do this, when you have a lot of speed on the back stretch, stay a bike length or two out, and take a tangent to the curve and hit the apex, and you can continue spinning, you don’t have to stop pedaling.

IDS Are riders more cautious on turn three?

MORROW I think people go into turn three more cautious just because of what’s happening and what they’ve seen from turn three. That just adds to why it’s even more important to stay in front, the less experienced riders struggle more, and you don’t want to get caught up in that.

IDS Do you forsee turn three being a problem this year?

MORROW It’s definitely possible. It was a bad place to be in Miss-N-Out. We saw a couple of bad wrecks in the semifinals. They usually do a good job maintaining it during the race, I don’t really foresee it being a problem.

More

Ski Club women learn to race, form bike team

It isn’t uncommon for groups on campus to half-heartedly discuss forming Little 500 teams. Unlike many of the failed start-up teams, when IU Ski and Snowboard Club began tossing around the idea of forming a team, they followed through.

Getting back on the bike

Thomas Larson knows what it’s like to fall off the bike. The 24-year-old Delta Upsilon rider has fallen down in more than just a bike race. His most adverse falls have sent him to various hospital beds around the Midwest.

The art of the exchange

In a race that often comes down to fractions of a second, Little 500 competitors are always looking to pick up precious time on the track.