Coach Huber, junior Cozad to speak at Special Olympics fundraiser Saturday

On April 28, Special Olympics Indiana-Monroe County will have a fundraiser dinner and silent auction at AMVETS Post 2000 at 5227 W. Airport Rd. in Bloomington.

At that dinner, IU Diving Coach Jeff Huber and USA Diving national champion Amy Cozad will speak about their keys to success in their respective careers.

Huber is a three-time Olympic coach and will share the 15 lessons he has learned about reaching potential.

Cozad, a junior at IU and the 2011 U.S. Diving Champion in the 10-meter platform synchronized dive (with sophomore IU teammate Laura Ryan), will talk about her experiences, successes and difficulties in the sport.

SOIMC offers year-round sports opportunities for children, 8 years and older, and adults who have intellectual, cognitive or learning disabilities.

The group is funded entirely by donations that go toward covering registration fees for prospective athletes.

“I believe that sport involvement makes a positive difference in the lives of all people,” Huber said in a press release. “The Special Olympics is a wonderful growth experience for the participants, volunteers and community.”

The dinner will cost $20 for adults and $10 for children and will start at 5 p.m. with food options of steak, chicken or vegetarian lasagna.

The event will also have door prizes, games and other special guests, including Hoosier Country 105.1 radio personality Sheila Stephen.

To purchase tickets, contact AMVETS at 812-825-2200.

A full list of silent-auction items, including local restaurant gift cards and IU diving gear, is available at www.soimc.org/benefit.