sports softball

IU softball team heads to Oklahoma for OU Spring Festival

Team wins one, loses one on first day

This weekend the Hoosiers (9-10) head to Norman, Okla. for the OU Spring Festival. The Festival will feature two games against Wichita State (6-11) and three games against No. 8 Oklahoma (15-3).

The Wichita State Shockers look to be an easy matchup for the Hoosiers. Only four of their starters hold a batting average over .300 while the Shockers have given up 23 home runs this season, only scoring nine themselves.

The two go-to pitchers for the Shockers are junior Katie Armagost and sophomore Sloan Anderson. Neither of these pitchers have an ERA under 5.00.

Oklahoma, like Stanford last week, should hold stiffer competition. In its first matchup against a ranked opponent last week, Indiana took No. 10 Stanford down to the wire, falling 7-3 eventually in extra innings.

The Hoosiers look to contend with this weekend’s matchup against No. 8 Oklahoma on all three days of competition.

Oklahoma’s season ended in the College World Series last year and this year 12 of the letterwinners from that team return to face the Hoosiers.

Indiana will no doubt need to overcome powerful Oklahoma pitching to have a shot at any of the three matchups this weekend.

Junior Kellani Ricketts will be heading into this weekend after being named National Player of the Week last weekend. Ricketts leads the Sooner pitching roster with 132 strikeouts in 75.1 innings.

Junior Michelle Gascologne rounds it out with an 0.95 ERA during an undefeated 6-0 record this season to put on her resume.

Oklahoma will no doubt be a challenge, but the Sooners can be beaten.  Stanford proved that in a 5-0 romping on Feb. 24, one week prior to the near Hoosiers’ upset.

The schedule this week is as follows:
Friday

• vs. Wichita State at 2:00 p.m. (Note: IU won 11-0)
  • vs. Oklahoma at 7:00 p.m. (Note: IU lost 14-0)
Saturday
  • vs. Wichita State at noon
  • vs. Oklahoma at 5:00 p.m.
Sunday
  • vs. Oklahoma at 4:30 p.m.

Next weekend the Hoosiers come home for the first time this season to host the Hoosier Classic.