sports softball

IU strikes out at Louisville Slugger Desert Classic

Early innings proved a struggle for the Hoosier hardball team’s defense this weekend in the Louisville Slugger Desert Classic in Las Vegas.

Indiana (3-6) gave up a total of 22 runs during the first three innings of all of its games combined this weekend, scoring only 8 itself.

“Anytime you give up runs early, I think you get a little tense,” IU Coach Michelle Gardner said. “You are always having to battle back, and sometimes you’re too far out of reach to battle back.”

In Indiana’s first game, Utah (6-3) recorded five runs going into the fourth inning before Hoosier senior catcher Cassie Gogreve added two RBIs.

However, the Utes opened it back up by scoring two in the bottom of the sixth, then shutting out the Hoosiers in the top of the seventh to end the game in a 7-2 loss for the Hoosiers.

Game two against Long Beach State (5-4) ended in a 13-3 loss for the Hoosiers after the 49ers recorded five runs in the first inning. Senior infielder Samantha Berenter opened the Hoosiers’ run column with her first home run of the season.

Berenter knocked the ball over the fence in left center field after junior infielder Amanda Wagner stole second base. Junior outfielder Kelsey Brannon drove in Berenter on a line-drive single for Indiana’s last run of the game.

The Hoosiers’ opening game Saturday featured heavily favored Brigham Young University (7-3). The Cougars found themselves playing catch-up after Wagner hit her third home run of the season to put the Hoosiers up 4-1 in the top of the third inning.

However, in the bottom of the fourth, Indiana allowed three runs to tie the game at 4-4. Sophomore outfielder Jenna Abraham recorded her third home run of the season in the fifth, followed in the seventh by freshman infielder Shannon Cawley’s first collegiate home run to put the Hoosiers up 7-5.

“I went out there just trying to read the defense and go with the pitch, and it just so happened I got a good pitch and just went with it,” Cawley said. “It’s always fun to get a home run, but it’s better knowing that you helped your team stay in or go up in a game.”

After giving up a walk early in the inning, freshman pitcher Lora Olson struck out her next two opponents. However, after she walked the next batter, BYU loaded the bases with two outs. Olson then gave up a walk for a forced run, and the next batter drove a single down the third base line to knock in the tying and go-ahead runs for an 8-7 Indiana loss.

“That’s the moment that every pitcher dreams for to learn from,” Olson said. “Even though we lost, we did learn from it. Sometimes that is more valuable than coming away with a win.”

In Saturday’s second game, Indiana allowed Utah State (5-2) to score four runs in the first inning with three straight singles followed by a grand slam. Afterward, the Aggies prevented the Hoosiers from getting their first hit until the fifth inning.

Gogreve broke the streak with a double to left field. Sophomore catcher Jena Malmen followed with an RBI double to end the scoring shutout. With bases loaded in the final inning, the second baseman for Utah State ended Indiana’s hopes for a rally by catching a line drive, ending the game in a 6-3 loss for Indiana.

Indiana left the tournament with an 8-5 win against Memphis (2-8). Olson came on to relieve Murphy in the fourth inning before hitting a two-run homer. The home run, tying the game at 4-4, was Olson’s first collegiate hit.

The hit was not the only offensive effort from the Hoosiers. Wagner, Gogreve, Cawley, Malmen, Olson and sophomore infielder Breanna Saucedo all recorded at least one RBI in the win.

“We made some things go our way, and I think that’s what good teams do,” Gardner said. “We just kept battling. We just were not going to get beat Sunday.”

Indiana heads to Woodstock, Ga., for the Phyllis Rafter Memorial tournament beginning Friday.