sports softball

Abraham, Wagner start strong as IU splits first 4 games

Home runs were not a rare sight in this weekend’s opening tournament for the Hoosiers. Sophomore Jenna Abraham’s two home runs Friday and junior Amanda Wagner’s two home runs Saturday helped lead the Hoosier softball team to split its four opening weekend games.

The Hoosiers (2-2) first faced Devin Miller and the University of Illinois-Chicago Flames. Abraham opened the scoring column for the season in the first inning, scoring after a sacrifice fly from freshman outfielder Brianna Meyer.

The next inning, Abraham answered with a line-drive two-run home run over the center field wall.

Heading into the sixth inning, the Hoosiers were up 6-0. Then the Flames offense started getting hot.

After allowing four runs late in the game, freshman pitcher Lora Olson found herself trying to close the game with a runner at second and the tying run up to bat.

With two outs completed, pinch-hitter Kelsey Sturgeon blasted a shot into left field. As the ball approached the fence, Abraham answered the call again by stealing the home run and bringing the ball back over the fence for the win.

“I was just thinking, ‘track the ball, stay on it, don’t give up,’” Abraham said. “I knew I was close to the fence, so I was just going to jump and reach over as far as I could, and hopefully I would grab it. I really didn’t know I had it ’til I felt it in my glove.”

Olson finished the entire game in the circle for her first collegiate softball start.

Abraham finished the game 3-for-4 with two RBI, two runs and a home run.

“Hitting is something I’ve been working hard toward,” Abraham said. “I’ve been struggling a little bit, but it felt good being able to be confident. The home runs felt good. It’s just one of those things, when you hit it well, you can just tell it’s going to go over.”

The next game against New Mexico State ended in a 10-2 loss for the Hoosiers.

Sophomore Meaghan Murphy, Indiana’s only returning pitcher, started in the circle.

Murphy was able to limit the Aggies to just three runs going into the fifth inning, when they had a 3-0 lead. Olson returned to relieve Murphy, who allowed five runs on 11 hits with five strikeouts, and during the final inning and a third, the Aggies scored another five runs on three hits.

In the sixth, Abraham hammered another two-run home run to complete the final score of 10-2.

On Saturday, Indiana opened up  against Saint Mary’s. Olson started, but Murphy came in to relieve after the Gaels recorded six runs with no outs in the bottom of the first.

Down 7-1 after the first inning, the Hoosiers fought for a comeback. Abraham looked as if she could steal the show again after opening things back up with a stolen base after a single.

However, Saturday was Wagner’s day.

“Friday, I got the first game jitters out and was a lot more confident in the box on Saturday,” Wagner said. “I want to be a more consistent hitter.”

The junior power-hitter blasted a two-run home run to center field to keep the game close at 7-3.

Hoosier hitting, however, ended with the home run, and the game ended with a 8-3 loss.

Coming off of two losses, the Hoosiers looked for revenge against Santa Clara.

Everyone showed up to play in the 9-1 win against the Broncos.

“We came out and played well and did a lot of good things as a team. It’s always good to get those first games under your belt,” IU Coach Michelle Gardner said. “Meaghan
threw well, and we hit well. It felt great getting some good performances on the field.”

Gogreve drove in a career-high four RBI, including a three-run double. Senior Samantha Berenter went 2-for-3 with one RBI and two runs. Murphy threw a career-high eight
strikeouts.

After struggling Friday with a 1-for-6 performance, Wagner found her groove Saturday, notching two home runs while hitting 5-for-6 with five RBI total for the day.

“I’m not looking to drive a home run on every at bat,” Wagner said. “I’m perfectly OK with driving a grounder up the middle if it brings in runs. They can trust me to do
that job.”

The Sunday afternoon game between the Hoosiers and UTEP was cancelled, ending the tournament at 2-2 for Indiana. The Hoosiers head back west next weekend to compete in the Louisville Slugger Desert Classic in Las Vegas.