Hoosiers fall in meet at Michigan

The Result

In their meet in Ann Arbor, Mich., this season and their first meet in more than a month, both IU men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams fell to Michigan on Saturday, with the men losing 166-130, and the women getting edged 151.5-148.5.

The Action
When the men’s swimming and diving team traveled to Michigan two months ago in its double-dual meet involving IU, Michigan and Texas, the Hoosiers lost by an embarrassing 216-84 margin.

This time around, although the margin of defeat was much closer, the No. 10-ranked Hoosiers found it hard to win events against the No. 4-ranked team in the nation.

In the men’s first event of the day, the 200-yard medley relay, the team of junior Daniel Kanorr, sophomores James Wells and Cody Miller and freshman Steve Schmuhl took first place, and things were looking positive for the Hoosiers.

After that race, IU won only one other swimming event, as Schmuhl won the 200-yard backstroke by a 2.28 second margin.

IU’s lack of swimming victories was enough for Michigan to take the win, though junior Zac Nees won the 3-meter dive competition, and junior Mick Dell’Orco took first place in the 1-meter dive.

The Hoosiers’ women’s swimming and diving team saw a promising performance, but the meet ended with a loss.

Freshman Allie Day was the main story for the Hoosiers’ success, as she went on to win her first career events in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke races on the day.

In addition to Day, senior Margaux Farrell continued to show her prowess in the pool, winning the 100- and 200-yard freestyle and 400-yard freestyle relay events. Farrell’s worst finish of the day was second place in the 50-yard freestyle, only .64 seconds behind the first place finisher.

The Hoosiers also saw wins by senior Allysa Vavra in the 400-yard IM, sophomore Lindsay Vrooman in the 500-yard freestyle and senior Gabby Agostino in the 1-meter dive, but it was barely not enough against a resurgent No. 22 Michigan team.

Key Play

In the women’s 100-yard backstroke, Day defeated freshman Justine Ress by a .02 second margin to earn her first career collegiate victory.

Notable Number

Five — The total number of events the men’s swimming and diving team has won against Michigan this entire season, out of 32 total events.

Quote of Note

“Michigan is really the class of the Big Ten this season,” IU Coach Ray Looze said. “If anything, at this point, everyone is fighting to dethrone them, not us. We’re still in the process of preparing for the Big Ten Championships, and that is where we will get our revenge. For now, we just have to keep working hard like we have so far.”

Up Next

Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will have their first meet in Bloomington on Jan. 21 against Purdue. This season, the men’s team is ranked No. 20 in the nation, and the women’s team is ranked No. 18. The meet will also be telecast live on the Big Ten Network, with the action starting at 11 a.m.