Faculty, guests design modern dance recital

Contemporary Voices

Modern dance is an all-encompassing field, said Elizabeth Shea, director of IU’s Contemporary Dance Program.

“The continuum of modern dance is huge,” Shea said.

This year’s Contemporary Dance performance is titled “Contemporary Voices.” The recital, presented by  IU Dance Theatre, will be held in the Grand Hall of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.

It will be presented at 7:30 p.m. today and Saturday, and  at 1:30 p.m. Saturday.
The show features guest choreographers Larry Keigwin and Nicole Wolcott, who choreographed “Straight Duet,” Laurie Eisenhower of “Night Music” and Ben Munisteri, creator of “Muse of Fire.” New work by IU dance faculty will be shown.

Iris Rosa, director of the African American Dance Company and professor in the Department of African American and African Diaspora Studies, said the showcase features many music and performance styles.

Eisenhower’s “Night Music,” is performed by six students on a sofa, and “Straight Duet,” is performed by a couple on a mattress.

“In terms of props and sets, we have a very special year,” Shea said.
The props tell a story about parts of the home, which Shea said helps audience members connect with the dancers.

“All we need is the kitchen table, and we’ll have a house,” she said. “Most people don’t have a sky dancer in their home, but maybe after this show they will.”

Shea also has a performance piece funded by an IU Collaborative Research and Creative Activity Award from the Office of the Vice Provost for Research.

Shea’s piece includes two projections and a video in the score. She said she wanted to use technology to enhance but not overload the experience.

“(The showcase) is an experimental take on modern dance,” said Joe Musiel, a junior and performer in the concert.

Rosa said it should be an exciting concert for all in attendance.