IU begins official search for new vice president, general counsel

The University has begun accepting applications and nominations for a new vice president and general counsel, according to a press release by the University released this afternoon.

The new vice president and general counsel will succeed Dorothy Frapwell, who has served in that position since 2006. Frapwell will become special advisor to the new general counsel.

"Dottie has provided exemplary service to Indiana University for more than 30 years, and I am deeply grateful that she has agreed to continue her service to IU as special advisor to the next vice president and general counsel," IU President Michael McRobbie said according to the press release. "Indiana University has benefited greatly from her wise counsel, and will continue to do so in her new role."

The vice president and general counsel acts as the Univeristy’s chief legal officer, advising the president, senior administrators and the IU Board of Trustees in all legal matters. The vice president and general counsel also provides legal representation for the University when necessary.

A committee of 10 IU administrators, chaired by John Applegate, Vice President for University Regional Affairs, Planning and Policy, will begin reviewing applications Feb. 1. The new vice president is expected to begin before July 1.

- Kirsten Clark