Men’s swimming and diving team dominant pool, women split

The Result:
In its first meet since Nov. 5, the No. 14 IU men’s swimming and diving team (4-2) went to State College, Pa., and swept Penn State and No. 21 Virginia, winning 226-127 and 217-136, respectively. The women’s swimming and diving team also competed in its first meet in three weeks. The No. 14 Hoosiers (3-3) took down Penn State 191-162 but fell to No. 18 Virginia, 212.5-140.5.

The Action:
After being swept by No. 1 Michigan and No. 2 Texas earlier this month, the men’s swimming and diving team returned to dominate the pool, winning 13 of 18 events.

Sophomore Cody Miller won the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard breaststroke. He also won the 400-yard medley relay, along with junior Daniel Kanorr, sophomore Jimmy Wells and freshman Steve Schmuhl. Miller was runner-up in the 200-yard breaststroke race by a mere .07 seconds. Meanwhile, the Hoosiers enjoyed diving success led by junior Zac Nees, who swept both the 1- and 3-meter events.

The women’s team collected four wins during the two-day meet.

Senior Allysa Vavra won her first events of the season, victorious in both the 200- and 400-yard individual medaly. Though the women did not record another win in the swimming competition, the Hoosiers’ breakthrough came in the diving competition, where IU went 1-2-3 in both the 1- and 3-meter dives.

The 1-meter dive competition saw sophomore Kate Hillman win her first career event, while senior Gabby Agostino won her first title of the season in the 3-meter competition.

Key Play:
In the first event of the men’s meet, Indiana’s 200-yard freestyle relay team held off a last-second surge by Penn State’s team, which won by .5 seconds.

Notable Number:
Seven – The number of Hoosiers who won multiple events during the double dual-meet.

Quote of Note:
“Winning both meets was really important to us,” IU Coach Ray Looze said. “The losses to Michigan and Texas stung us all. We knew they were good opponents, but we’re better than that. We came back and showed our true colors and represented Indiana really well. I’m just so proud of the way they fought back.”

Up Next:
The men’s and women’s teams travel to Athens, Ga., for the Georgia Invitational from Dec. 2 to 4.