IU returns to pool in double dual meet

Last Time
On Oct. 28, the No. 14 IU women’s swimming and diving team defeated No. 16 Michigan, 178-122, but fell to No. 3 Texas, 165-133, in a double dual meet in Ann Arbor, Mich. Meanwhile, the No. 14 men’s team fell to No. 1 Michigan 216-84 and No. 2 Texas 217.5-82.5 in its double dual meet Nov. 4 and 5.

The Set-up
Both the men’s and women’s teams will travel to State College, Pa., for a double dual meet Friday and Saturday against Penn State and Virginia.

The Context
After falling short against both Texas and Michigan, the IU men’s swimming and diving team hopes to get back on track against Penn State (2-1) and No. 21 Virginia (0-1) in a double dual meet at Penn State. Two weeks ago during the meet at Ann Arbor, the Hoosiers collected one win out of the 16 events conducted, a victory by junior Zac Nees on the 1-meter dive. The Hoosiers will look to change those results starting Friday.

Now 2-2, the women’s swimming and diving team will be at full strength for the first time this season. After missing junior diver Amy Cozad and Head Diving Coach Jeff Huber for two double dual meets due to their Pan American Games participation, both have returned and will be at tomorrow’s meet.

Notable Number
2. The number of wins and losses each of the IU teams has on the season, each to top-10 opponents. It is also the number of double dual meets each team has already participated in this season and the number of consecutive seasons the teams hope to defeat Penn State.

Quote of Note
“The major challenge here is how we are going to respond to the long drive to Penn State, coupled with how hard we have been working in training,” said Farrell. “We are tired, sore and ready for Thanksgiving, but for now, we need to put that aside for two days and step up and race.”