sports women's basketball

Hoosiers to play UIndy in last exhibition game before season

Women's basketball vs. Penn State

Before the regular season begins Friday, the Hoosiers face the University of Indianapolis in an exhibition game today at Assembly Hall.

The Hoosiers defeated St. Ambrose 92-39 in their first exhibition game Thursday.
Offensively, three IU players scored in double-digits: junior forward Jasmine McGhee, senior forward Danilsa Andujar and freshman center Quaneisha McCurty.

“Defense is going to create the offense,” IU Coach Felisha Legette-Jack said.

IU recorded 20 steals, including seven by freshman point guard Candyce Ussery.

At Big Ten Media Day, Legette-Jack elaborated on the importance of contributions from new additions such as Ussery. The five newcomers combined for 45 points, 24 rebounds and 11 steals against St. Ambrose.

UIndy finished 17-13 last season with a conference record of 9-9.

Changes have been made to the program since last season, including Constantin Popa’s appointment as UIndy’s head coach.

The Greyhounds are led by guard Katy McIntosh, who averaged 10.5 points per game last year.

Indianapolis lost its first exhibition game 58-41 against Xavier.

As in the St. Ambrose game, the Hoosiers will have a size advantage Tuesday.

“We are going to be a tough team to beat because of our size this year,” Legette-Jack said.

After the UIndy game, IU starts the regular season on the road against Central Arkansas on Friday.

Legette-Jack is confident she has a talented team but said it needs to stay unified to produce positive results.

“If these young ladies stay together, then great things can come to our women’s basketball program,” she said.