sports women's basketball

Defense leads to win in 1st exhibition game

Defense helped create offense as the IU women’s basketball defeated St. Ambrose 92-39 in the first exhibition game of the season.

The Hoosiers kept the Queen Bees’ offense to a 30 percent field goal percentage.

“Our defense matches up with the offense of the opponent,” IU Coach Felisha Legette-Jack said. “We try to maintain ball pressure and communicate.”

Offensive rebounds created more scoring opportunities for IU. Of the 60 rebounds, 31 came from offensive possessions. Leading the Hoosiers in scoring was junior guard Jasmine McGhee with 18 points in her first game with the Hoosiers Assembly Hall’s environment aided McGhee’s play on the court, she said.

“The atmosphere of just being here really got me ready,” McGhee said.

Others players contributed to the offensive output, including senior forward Danilsa Andujar.

“My goal this whole preseason is to step up as a leader,” Andujar said. “I think my defense is what really helped me out on the offensive side”.

Andujar and freshman center Quaneisha McCurty recorded double-doubles. Andujar added 15 points and 12 rebounds and McCurty posted 13 points and 10 rebounds.

“I just love the humility of the team this year,” Legette-Jack said. “We don’t really have a go-to player, but everyone is willing to step up and do what they need to do.”
Of the 92 points scored, 45 came from the five newcomers.

Legette-Jack used 13 of her 14 players in the opening game. Sophomore center Simone Deloach was the only Hoosier not to play in the game.

The Hoosiers had seven players — without Deloach — at six-feet-one-inch or taller, compared to the Queen Bees only having one.

“We are going to be a tough team to beat because of our size this year,” Legette- Jack said.

The Hoosiers out-rebounded the Fighting Bees 60-31.

Legette-Jack said the 53-point victory brings confidence to the Hoosiers, but it’s just the beginning of a lengthy season.

“We are excited about where we are,” Legette-Jack said. “We are totally not content. We have a long way to go.”