Women’s swimming, diving face Texas, Michigan

swimming

Last Time
The Hoosiers (1-1) defeated Kentucky, 205-78, but fell to Tennessee, 163-120, in their first meet of the season.

Senior swimmers Brittany Strumbel and Margaux Farrell each won two events, and sophomore diver Laura Ryan won the 3-meter competition.

The Set-up
The team will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., for Friday’s meet against Michigan and Texas, which will begin at 11 a.m.

Notable Number
Zero — the number of times the women’s swimming and diving team has defeated Texas in their previous four meets.

Quote of Note
“We are going to have to be tougher than we would be for any other meet because we are dealing with very strong teams. Everyone has to step up for us to win this,”
Margaux Farrell said.

The Context
For a fifth consecutive year, the Hoosiers will face the Wolverines and Longhorns, which both finished last season ranked in the top 20.

In the meet at IU last season, the Hoosiers fell to both Texas and Michigan, 189-173 and 188-182, respectively. However, this time around, the women’s team is looking for revenge.

Though the team competed last weekend without senior Allysa Vavra and sophomore Brenna MacLean, who were both participating in the Pan Am Games, both have returned in time to swim in Friday’s meet. The two swimmers, who each medaled in their competitions, will contribute to the Hoosiers in their effort to defeat the Longhorns and Wolverines.