sports women's basketball

Women’s basketball opens Hoosier Hysteria

IU Coach Felisha Legette-Jack did her best to hype up the women’s basketball team before the men’s team took over at Hoosier Hysteria. The first 30 minutes of the event were dedicated to the introductions, drills, and  scrimmage for the women’s team.

“I am thrilled to be a Hoosier,” the coach said to open her address to the crowd.

Looking at the crowd of more than 16,000, Legette-Jack said this season was “the start of something big.” 

Among the reasons for optimism the coach mentioned were the team’s junior college transfers, including junior guard Jasmine McGhee, the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Junior College player of the year, and junior forward Linda Reubene.

Associate Head Coach Jose Mori introduced the five new players for team, which included Rubene, McGhee, freshman point guard Candyce Ussery,, freshman guard Necole Sterling and freshman center Quaneisha McCurty.

New additions extended to the coaching  staff, including assistant coaches Whitney Thomas and Charlene Thomas-Swinson and graduate assistant Jimmy Colloton.

Legette-Jack also recognized the team’s veterans, calling the senior class of guard Alisha Goodwin, forward Danilsa Andujar and forward Georgia Jones, “The Rock”.
After player and staff introductions, the Hoosiers started with the lay-up drill and a full-court weave drill.

Following the drills was a three-point shootout between junior forward Aulani Sinclair and Rubene. Sinclair prevailed, defeating the Latvia-native 5-4.

Finishing off the practice was a 10-minute intra-squad scrimmage.

Junior center Sasha Chaplin played extensively in the scrimmage after being plagued with injuries during the past few years.

The Hoosiers open the season with an exhibition game against St. Ambrose at 7 p.m. Nov. 3 in Assembly Hall.