sports women's basketball

Junior college transfers to play major role

Hoosier Hysteria

When the program loses three of its top scorers due to graduation, there is only one thing to do.

Rebuild.

That rebuilding process for the women’s basketball team this year included the signing of five players: three freshman and two junior-college transfers.

Junior guard Jasmine McGhee and junior forward Linda Rubene are the two pieces that made this IU year’s signing class No. 23 in the nation, according to the All-Star Girls Report at MichaelTWhite.com.

“They were top-caliber players and a lot of people wanted them as well, but we are very fortunate to have them,” IU Associate Head Coach Jose Mori said.

McGhee and Rubene will be important pieces to the “puzzle,” IU Coach Felisha Legette-Jack said.

JASMINE MCGHEE
“She was one of the top junior college players last year,” Legette-Jack said at Hoosier Hysteria on Oct. 15.

According to the All-Star Girls Report, McGhee was ranked as the No. 2 junior college recruit.

Last year at Vincennes University, she was named the WBCA Junior College/Community Player of the Year and earned junior college All-America honors. The Anderson, Ind., native averaged 16.5 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game for the year.

“Jasmine is unstoppable off the dribble and just a great athlete,” Mori said.
The sharpshooter shot 52.6 percent from the field.

Not only does McGhee bring basketball skills to the court, Legette-Jack said, but the intangibles as well.

“I bring a lot of hard work and commitment to the program,” McGhee said.

LINDA RUBENE
Rubene is one of two Latvian players on the Hoosier squad.

“They came from all over the world to build this basketball program,” Legette-Jack said during Hoosier Hysteria about the international talent on the team.

In Latvia, Rubene gained experience competing for the Latvian under-20 national team.
“She brings a lot of experience,” Mori said. “She has a great shot and has a high basketball I.Q.”

The All-Star Girls Report ranked Rubene as the No. 14 junior college prospect. While at Iowa Western Community College, Rubene averaged 7.9 points and 5.1 rebounds per game and tied the team record with 35 three-pointers.

Aside from the skills McGhee and Rubene bring to the court, how they act off the court is also important, Mori said.

“I think more importantly of how good of players they are is how good of people they are, students they are, and how well they represent this program,” Mori said.