Bologna by Bre

The hills of Urbino

Living  in Indiana, you become accustomed to seeing endless fields of soybeans and corn.

Much like the Midwest, however, Bologna is situated in a relatively flat part of Italy. But you can find the hills, mountains and valleys outside Bologna by venturing on a train.
Last Saturday I journeyed to the historic and picturesque town of Urbino,

Similar to the quaint town of Nashville, Ind., the journey to Urbino is filled with winding hills and sloping streets. The old-fashioned city makes the perfect getaway to escape the busy city life of Bologna.

In addition, the city has the ever-elusive greenery that Bologna lacks. A city filled with red rooftops and yellow buildings, the cool colors of nature found in Urbino are a welcome change from the mundane scenery of urban life.

In Urbino, the streets are lined with markets that remain open during the week, unlike those in large towns.

Situated among rolling hills in the Marche region of Italy, little has changed since the great poets and artists of the Renaissance walked the streets. Due to its ideal location, the city played an important role in the Gothic Wars endured by the Romans in the late sixth century.  

Today, the city has one main tourist attraction: The Palazzo Ducale, home of the city’s dukes since the late 15th century.

Easily visible from nearby hills, the palace features many characteristics from the Renaissance.

The National Gallery of the Marche is housed inside and is one of the world’s biggest collections of Renaissance artwork with paintings from many influential artists.
Featuring more than 20 fireplaces, the palace also provides many opportunities to re-enact Floo Powder scenes from the Harry Potter films.

If you only venture to Urbino to burn off the calories incurred from the endless pasta, wine and early morning pizza, your trip will be rewarded with an awesome view and rich history.  

— Brea Johnson